The Church of St. Panteleon, Vidin

The Church of Saint Pantaleon, declared a national monument of art, was most likely built in the 17th century. Buried partially under the ground, like most churches dating from the Ottoman period, this church is now housed inside the courtyard of the Holy Vidin Metropolia. In addition to its exquisite mural paintings, the church is also home to an old and miraculous silver-covered icon of Saint Pantaleon, said to have healing power for those coming to pray to it. The story goes that in 1560 local Muslims complained to the Sultan about the church’s service interfering with their daily prayers, which led to its “accidental burning”. Later on, a Turkish invasion in the area ended with the slaughter of its entire priesthood. The church is associated with the life and work of the highly-esteemed national leader Saint Sophronius of Vratsa, who spent two years serving here during his exile in the city. Another of its notable clergymen was Anthim I, the first head of the Bulgarian Exarchate. Since ancient times Saint Pantaleon has been venerated as the patron of the Holy Vidin Metropolia and of its seat, the city of Vidin.

Day 1
Day 1 – Craiova – Strehaia – Maglavit - Vidin

Visit to Madona Dudu Church, St. Demetrius Cathedral, Mântuleasa Church and the Church of the Holy Trinity, Craiova (optional)

Departure to Strehaia and visit to the Monastery of Strehaia

Departure to Maglavit and visit to the Monastery of Maglavit

Departure to Vidin, Bulgaria

Dinner and overnight accommodation in Vidin

Day 2
Day 2 – Vidin - Montana – Vratsa - Pleven

Visit to the Cathedral of Saint Demetrius, Church of Saint Paraskevi and Church of St. Pantaleon in Vidin

Free time in Vidin: a tour of the Baba Tonka Fortress, visit to the Historical Museum and the Krastata Kazarma museum (optional)

Visit to the Strupeski Monastery of St. Elijah the Prophet, Vratsa

Lunch in the Monastery area

Departure to Pleven

Dinner and overnight accommodation in Pleven

Day 3
Day 3 – Pleven – Veliko Tarnovo

Visit to the Metropolitan Church of St. Nicholas, Church of St. Paraskevi and the Church of Holy Trinity, Pleven

Visit to the Chapel Mausoleum of Saint George the Conqueror, Pleven

Lunch in Pleven

Walk to the Skobelev Park and Ossuary Memorial or visit to the Kaylaka Park and the Wine Museum

Departure to Veliko Tarnovo

Dinner and overnight accommodation in Veliko Tarnovo

Day 4
Day 4 – Veliko Tarnovo

Visit to the Tsarevets Fortress and Trapezithsa Hill, Veliko Tarnovo

Visit to the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Theotokos, the Church of the Holy Forty Martyrs and the Church of St. Demetrius of Thessaloniki, Veliko Tarnovo

Lunch in Veliko Tarnovo

Free time: visit to the old part of the Veliko Tarnovo

“Light and sound” show – Tsarevets Fortress

Dinner and overnight accommodation in Veliko Tarnovo

Day 5
Day 5 – Arbanasi – Veliko Tarnovo

Visit to the Monastery of the Dormition of the Theotokos and the Monastery St. Nicholas of Myra, Arbanasi

Visit to the Church of the Nativity of Christ, Arbanasi

Lunch in Arbanasi

Visit to the Church “St. Athanasius”, Arbanasi

Overnight accommodation in Veliko Tarnovo

Day 6
Day 6 - Ivanovo - Ruse

Departure to Ivanovo

Visit to the Rock-Hewn Churches of Ivanovo and Medieval Fortress of Cherven

Departure to Ruse and lunch on the Danube river

Visit to the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity and the Church of St. George in Ruse

Dinner and overnight accommodation in Ruse

Day 7
Day 7 – Ruse – Balș- Călui – Craiova

Visit to the Regional Historical Museum and the ancient Roman fortress of Sexaginta Prista (optional)

Departure to Balș and visit to the Monastery of Măineşt

Departure to Călui and visit to the Monastery of Călui

Departure

Hotel-Restaurant Anna Kristina
GPS coordinates: 43.987128 / 43°59’13” N – 22.8800887 / 22°52’48” E
Address: 2 Baba Vida street, Vidin, Bulgaria

Magura Complex 
GPS coordinates: 43.725067 / 43°43’30” N – 22.590214 / 22°35’24” E
Address: at the bank of Rabisha lake, Vidin district

Hotel-Restaurant „Skalite“ (Rocks)
GPS coordinates: 43.625265 / 43°37’31” N – 22.687262 / 22°41’14” E
Address: 1 Hadzhi Dimitar Str., town of Belogradchik, Vidin district

Hotel Restaurant „Han Madona“
GPS coordinates: 43.597539 / 43°35’51” N – 22.779690 / 22°46’47” E
Address: at the limits of Falkovets village, Vidin district

Baba Vida Fortress, Vidin
GPS coordinates: 43.992622 / 43°59’33” N – 22.884983 / 22°53’6” E
Address: Baba Vida Street, on the bank of the Danube river, town of Vidin, Vidin
Working time: 8:30-18:00 (Apr-Oct); 9:00-17:00 (Nov-March)

The Medieval Fortress Baba Vidin is one of the most spectacular historical monuments in the whole region, also the best-preserved in Bulgaria. Historical data reveals that it was a Roman fortress, called Bononia, built primary for observational purposes. The fortress was expanded during the Byzantine and Medieval periods, because of its strategic position, which allows control of the traffic of the Danube River and observation of trade routes and provides military protection for the entire city. The oldest walls date back to the 10th century. The fortress was also the residence of the Bulgarian Tsar Ivan Stratsimir. Expanded in the 17th century during the Ottoman domination, the fortress was used as a storage for weapons and military materials, but also as prison. After the liberation of Bulgaria in 1878 from the Turks, it became a headquarter of the local military forces. In 1964 it was declared a historic monument of national importance. Today it is used as a site for film productions, theater, concerts and other artistic performances.

Historical Museum, Vidin
GPS coordinates: 43.989145 / 43°59’21” N – 22.874987 / 22°52’30” E
Address: 2 Obshtinska Street, Vidin, Vidin district
Working time: Every day from 8:30 to 17:00 h.
Located in the centre of Vidin, the town history museum, also known as Konaka, is one of the oldest scientific and cultural establishments in the town. The construction of the building dates back to the middle of the 17th century. During the Ottoman Empire, it was a residence of the town military commander and most of the architectural elements of the building were inspired by the Orient. After the liberation of Bulgaria in 1878 from the Ottoman domination, the building was turned into headquarter of Vidin Municipality. In 1956 the building was turned into a museum. There are archaeological remains from the Roman period, discovered after the excavation of the ruins of the settlement Ulpia Ratiaria, Bononia fortress, and the Roman fortress Kastra Martis, which are housed in the courtyard of the museum. The museum houses collections of objects grouped in three periods. We find objects from the iron and bronze periods such as stone and bronze objects, jewelry, various instruments and items of worship, Roman, Byzantine and medieval collections, ceramic, metal and silver objects, as well as several historical documents. Another part of the museum exhibits fragments of the history of the city, mainly related to the battles for the liberation of the country from Ottoman domination in 1878.

Krastatata Kazarma, Vidin

GPS coordinates: 43.990526 / 43°59’26” N – 22.881406 / 22°52’53” E
Address: 26 Knyaz Boris Street, Vidin, Vidin district
This building, which has become a symbol of Vidin’s historical heritage, was built in the early 19th century by the Ottoman Pasha Osman Pazvantoglu. During this period, it was used as a seat of the Ottoman military garrison. The building has unique cross-shaped form, built by stones and bricks, designed to facilitate the defense in the event of an attack. After the liberation of Bulgaria from Ottoman rule, the building was used as the seat of the court. Today it houses the city’s ethnographic museum, hosting impressive expositions of traditional local culture.

Kaleto Fortress, Belogradchik
GPS coordinates: 43.623747 / 43°37’25” N – 22.676645 / 22°40’36” E
Address: Tsolo Todorov street, Belogradchik, district of Vidin
The Kaleto fortress in Belogradchik is one of the most spectacular tourist attractions of the entire region. It occupies an area of more than 10,000 square meters. The first military construction here belonged to the Romans who used the fortress between the 1st and 3rd century to guard the strategic roads of the region. The highest part of the fortress is known as the Citadel, where you can find traces of defense facilities dating from both the Roman and Medieval periods. This fortress is one of the last well-preserved establishments after the fall of Bulgaria under Ottoman domination at the end of the 14th century. The Turks deployed here large garrison that played an important role in defending the Western part of the country. Between 1805 and 1837, the fortress was expanded and upgraded by the Ottoman authorities with the help of French and Italian engineers to allow the use of firearms. The fortress in Belogradchik is one of the best preserved in Bulgaria, declared as monument of culture of national importance in 1985.

The Rocks of Belogradchik
GPS coordinates: 43.623747 / 43 ° 37’25 “N – 22.676645 / 22 ° 40’36” E
Address: Tsolo Todorov Str., Belogradchik, Vidin district
The red rock formations of Belogradchik are probably one of the most striking natural landmarks in the country. The greatest and most beautiful of this marvelous natural creation are the rocks that rise upright above Belogradchik. This spectacular landscape is shaped by nature in the course of millions of years. Giant rock figures were formed here, creating impressive figures resembling humans, animals, mythological creatures. Each of these rocks carries a legend, explaining its shape and beauty. The place has been a major tourist destination for many years now, known in the entire country.

Historical Museum, Belogradchik
GPS coordinates: 43.990526 / 43°59’26” N – 22.881406 / 22°52’53” E
Address: 1 Knyaz Boris Street I, Belogradchik, district of Vidin
The historical museum of Belogradchik is housed in a traditional historical building, named Panova house. Its architectural elements are typical for the period of the Bulgarian National Revival. The building was built in 1810, and since 1970 it has been transformed into a museum housing more than 8,000 preserved objects.

Google Maps Generator by embedgooglemap.net

Trip Facts

  • 43.988133 / 43°59’17” N – 22.880875 / 22°52’51” E
  • 11 Baba Vida Str., 3700 Vidin
  • road D1
  • Not required
  • 00359601880
  • 112

Tourist information centres in Bulgaria

Tourist information centres in Romania

County of Mehedinţi

County of Dolj

County of Olt