The church is in the old part of town, under Castra ad Montanensium fortress, at the site of a sacred ancient and medieval centre. After the withdrawal of the Provisional Russian Administration (1879), acting on a proposal of the Russian Governor and a local Turkish leader, the town government decided to replace one of the mosques with an Orthodox church. Overnight the minaret was taken down and the mosque was converted into a church. The low structure no longer matched the rapid economic, architectural and cultural development of the town, so it was rebuilt into a two-domed brick building, with a large and spacious basilica and a gallery in the western section. The church was consecrated in 1898, and for a time it maintained its own candle factory, a baptistery and a monastic school (1879). Subsequent additions included a bell tower with four bells, an administrative building and a garden with exotic plant life. A later refurbishment gave the church its present-day appearance. The iconostasis, made in 1879, is an exquisite piece of the woodcarving art, with its gold plating and rich plant and animal ornamentation. Some impressive church painting pieces include the Panagia Platytera in the vault above the altar and the numerous images of Bulgarian saints painted on the walls. The church has been proclaimed a cultural monument.
- 43.404474 / 43°24’16” N – 23.221313 / 23°13’16” E
- Cyril and Methodius Str. crossing on Cherkovna Str.
- road D1, D102, then "Cyril and Methodius" Street
- Not required